Tuesday, March 15, 2016

ILD 130 Final Project WIP #2

Ok fans friends and family... We are coming down to the last stretch. I am finishing up my final for IDL 130. I came across a wonderful mistake. I have struggled with color since I was kid. It is my dream and goal to become an accomplished painter (then  migrate into sculpture). But I have had serious issues with color theory, hue, saturation and tone... Ya know the basics of color.

While fighting with Sketch Book pro.. whose interface is divine, I found the application keeps crashing while trying to paint this project. I racked! (tryed resaving in photoshop and reopening) I Tapped! (placed layers into SBP) I reassessed! (said screw it! This crap ain't working and I'm on a deadline!) So like a true art operator, I switched art systems. Just like in tactical shooting... If your primary weapons fails, jams or just runs dry... transition to your back up system.

I went back to Manga Studio. The brushes there are nice and I reworked my layers so that I had only basic layers. 1. Inks 2. Highlights 3. Shadows 4. Base Flats.  Then I had my "AH HA!" moment! I heard the heavenly voice of  Prof Hawkins in my subconsciousness  suggesting over my shoulder Sfumato! Grape Vine! Art for Art Sake! (in my mind she was dressed like a jedi master... it was kinda cool but kinda creepy at the same time. She had that shimmering Jedi halo, was wearing heels, a big ring, cell phone, starbucks coffee.. you know classic Tracey...  But then in the background was Brian Miller from Hi Fi Color and David Marquez from Marvel's Miles Moralez: Ultimate Spiderman from Hi Fi Color and But I digress)

I realized why my mash up images in color (and in black and white) suck is because I am not using atmospheric effects on color. So I started using basic circular and linear gradients on the flats... and you know what! IT LOOKS COOL! It is cutting my coloring time drastically down.

Ok, time to take a break. I have been at it for like 2 hrs. I need to jog for 30 min and then I'll come back to it.


Basic Flats




Basic Shades

No comments:

Post a Comment