Saturday, August 27, 2016

Darth Maffett speaks out on Misty Knight!




 
I gotta vent on this one. I am happy as the next brotha to see Luke Cage getting his own show. And in true Luke Cage fashion he is dating a white chick (spoiler… who he gets pregnant and has a daughter with in the comic). And like most Black comic fans I am STOKED to have the possibility of Misty Knight being a character. But what I do have a problem with is with the casting of black women in comic movies. They all pretty much are light skinned, skinny, with very european looking features. 
I’ll give you storm.. (cause HALLEY BERRY IS NOT STORM… and yeah Alexandria Shipp looked better but meh….) BUT MISTY!? Come on! Misty is a hard boilded NYC cop who got her arm chopped off! I don’t think she should look like a damn Victoria secrets model. She should look like she could take and give a punch! Remember this is the chick that roomed in college with Jean Grey. And if as sista has to to deal with mental telepath nut case like her then she should be more sturdy. Comics like Hollywood constantly down play the true beauty of the races! Not everyone has to look like he or she stepped of of the Highlands of Scotland for goodness sake!


My choice… Adrienne “Black Cindy!”Moore. Don’t hate or judge because all yinz know her character rocks the cell blocks at Litchfield Penitentiary! Moore has proved her chops as an actress! Before anyone goes on with she needs to be in character and show more range argument… Let me remind you that SAM JACKSON is in a ton of movies and pretty much is the same character (save a few movies…). I enjoy me some Sammy J but sometimes his character range is limited. Back to Moore… Even if she had the same vibe and attitude as Black Cindy… I think it would work as Misty and make the character more believable. As for Simone Missick, I think she would make a hella Storm! 

Oh and the art work above is from a character study for my Marvel Submission that will feature MY VERSION of Misty Knight! She is gonna be Plus Sized Ass Kickin' Crime Fighting Machine!

RANT OVER!

1 comment:

  1. More on Simmone McKissick. After watching Luke Cage. She sold me! She is awesome as Misty Knight! I like the direction Marvel is going with its diversity and interracial vibes. Its been a long time coming but we will see a more diverse representation in comics. As for My Own Personal creations... You FRIENDS, FANS and FAMILY have my word! You WILL see diversity, you will see characters who deal with issues of Race, Sexuality, Politics, Religion and general life as plot points in the things that I create.

    ReplyDelete