Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Back In the Game


Here is one of my favorite comic super heroes....(wait for it) DYAN-GIRL! What I like most about her is that (not only is she homage to Ms. Marvel) but is designed to be a realistic version of a single mom who has super powers. Her original story arc, though tragic is interesting. As for design Harold Edge gave her some swagg by adding high heeled boots with a metal kick plate and cog syled heels. The thick leather outerbelt says style while she is wearing a metallic looking corset to give her some back support. The gloves are what are cool too, they scream "female" by simulating how women wear pull their long sleeve shirts down over their hands (I dont know of any straight guys that do that). You can learn more about Dyna-Girl at RedHanded Studio's kickstarter program. While you are there, donate $5. These guys have been putting out quality web comics for the past few years free. Its time we start giving back so that they can continue to provide us with the entertainment we love and enjoy. DYNA-GIRL is going to be BACK IN THE GAME! (soon we hope...)

As for my design take, I tried to keep with Harold Edge's original design. What more can you add? I cleaned up her logo in Illustrator and added a RedHanded studio ball cap and baseball bat as props. Her physical shape is pretty much a MesoMorph that has dropped a kid and trying to get back into shape. So her legs are thick and bulky as well as broader shoulders and back. Her mid section is a problem because, I guess she gained a few pounds dropping a baby and getting out of fighting crime full time. Colors are added by Dony Armstrong  whom I affectionately call The Jedi Colorist. All I can say about Dony is that his becoming one of my best friends, not just because he rescues my art and brings it to living color. But he has the true heart of a Man of God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment