Sunday, May 8, 2016

Advanced Painting Midterm...

The Sibyl of Delphi…




Prof David Moyers continues in his relentless efforts to push and forge me into a better artist. I love this guy for this! He tasked us to recreate an "old masters" painting.  Prof Moyers is a great inspiration and coach. I am proud to be one of his students. But I need to chill with the admiration because folks will think I am trying to kiss up... 




This piece is my midterm project for advanced painting. I chose the Delphic Sibyl. I was introduced to this piece by my mentor and muse Prof. Tracey Hawkins. I remember hearing listening to Prof. Hawkins explain the process of how Michelangelo came about painting the Sistine chapel. I was intrigued by Michelangelo’s process and the stories behind the paintings on the chapel ceiling. The Delphic Sibyl called to me, when I learned of her. I don’t know why. Maybe it was her muscular arms, or her powerful sitting pose, or possibly the eyes. Her eyes say volumes. Is she pissed, scared or about to beat the breaks off that little cherub behind her for screwing up her dictation? I don’t know but I want to find out!  What I enjoy most about it her is the subtle variation in color and the contrast of the blue of her scarf with the browns and reds of her hair and skin.

In creating this piece I started by making my base illustration. A simple line drawing as a guide for the value and tonal changes of the image.

 

I next created my base coats in Yellow Orche annd Viridi. I followed up by adding in a wash of Yellow orche and Burnt Sienna and another with Viridi and Phalo Blue. This gave a nice base of mid tones.

   


I did my final touch ups with washes of Phalo blue, Burnt Sienna and Milky white.




I plan to come back often and rework this piece, as I also work the Bathsheeba, by improving on mimicking the Master Michelangelo an also changing the model but keeping the base feel of this beautiful woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment