Saturday, January 30, 2016

ILD130 - Final presentation art - Cat Women of the Moon

Final Concept Poster Art

I started the concept work earlier today. I took a 3 hr study creative break and watch The Reverent , . Good movie but not inspiring for this piece. I think this project came together much better then project 1. I am still not too pleased though. I would have rather did the entire piece digital. It seemed redundant to layout my ideas digitally. Light box trace them, hand ink and then scan, touch up in photoshop for final. This is clearly a 4 hour project that took about 8. I am pleased though with the hand inks, they look much better than my digital inks normally do. I think it mostly had to do with the Huion H610 digital tablet I use. Its WAAAY cheaper than the Wacom Intuos 5 .

Development Sketches


I reworked my initial pencils. I took the advice of Prof. Henderson from my previous project. The female character was plain ol ugly. And this woman was quickly heading this direction too. I found that I was trying to focus too much on the reference image instead of making her pretty using my skill set. Most of the reasons that she was unattractive was due to poor anatomy. So Instead of trying to draw only what I saw, I constructed the skull so I could get better references on where the features should fall. This helped make her more attractive looking



Final Development work




I started to develop the inks using inking brush pens, technical pens  and also a water color brushes and india ink. I started out with my line art, and then added the tonal hues. I found out the hard way that my technical pens ARE NOT waterproof. And when I added the washes for the the flesh hues. Also I scanned the image and found that it lost clarity and needed to be touched up in photoshop. Again this seemed to be working backwards to me. It added steps that added time to the project. Scanning, clean up, adding a gradient, expanding the background are all things that i could have done quickly and initially. But I do understand the importance of  learning the way of the traditional pen..

No comments:

Post a Comment