Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mission to the 3 Suns Alternate Cover

here is the blue lines and inks for an alternate cover for Reagan and RJ in Space : Mission to the 3 Suns. This is a very kid friendly christian comic created by Richard Collins. For more info and to check out the book go to http://www.raeganandrjinspace.com. The final is being colored by Dony Armstrong. Then I am adding the background and text.  The characters in the comic are adorable, I wanted to try to give them some visual character and depth. They range for 13 to 11 years old. I mixed up the ages a bit to allow for a little more variation in the cover. Plus kids rarely look their ages these days anyway. . I stayed up all night penciling, inking and doing the flats.This has been a pretty bad day and I this project gave me something wholesome to focus on. I loved doing this project because it renewed my hope in the wonder of a child's innocence. Please support Richard get a book for a kid you love for Christmas or by 10 of them for your children's ministry. It would cost you under $20 (and you spent that at starbucks this weekend for coffee while you shopped...)

here is the final project with Dony Armstrong's colors added.
you can buy the final copy here

2 comments:

  1. Good line work. I would go thicker on the inks for the characters in front. When I ink, I like to think Foreground, Middle, and Background. With the characters/objects in the front with a thicker lineweights. This will help you pop the characters more. Also, think about the light source... areas where the light hits, will have a thinner line while areas that don't see the light sourse, will have a thicker line weight. This will give your inks more dept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Walden. Thanks. I will use this technique in the future.

    ReplyDelete